I finished off the 2nd chariot and got round to taking a few photos of the completed unit. That’s another unit ready for my Orcs in Kings of War. As I said in an earlier post, I was miffed that the new rules for Kings of War had moved to units of 3 chariots instead of 1’s. I can’t get 3 to fit together because of the wheel spikes so I added the “mechanic” from a pile of parts I had.
While I had the camera out, I also took a photo of the extra 3 werewolves I painted up a few months ago to make the unit of werewolves into a unit of 6 for my Undead army.
I’m now putting together and trying out a few paint jobs on some US Infantry for Bolt Action. I’ll post some photos when I have some finished.
Chariot Unit of 3:
Werewolf unit of 6:
I decided to give myself a Sunday afternoon off working and needed a quick painting win. What better way than a batch of 10 Mummies that need very little work to look half decent on the gaming table.
I’d wanted Mantic’s Undead Mummies, but they seem to have been out of stock and vanished from their website, so I finally found some models at a decent price. Check out Thebattleforge.
Their Mummies looked pretty decent – even if they were on oldish looking metal bases. Plastic bases were provided with them though. The models came clean of flash, with next to zero in the way of mold lines. A soapy wash and 3 arms to glue together and they were ready for an undercoat.
I’ll show the pics below of the models in their raw state, undercoated, 2 ink test subjects, then with a bone and white drybrush. All pretty easy. In fact there was more drying time needed than painting. Quick win. A unit on the table.
Undercoated with Army Painted Skeleton bone spray.
2 ink test subjects. One with GW’s Agrax Earthshade. The other with Armypainters Strong tone. I couldn’t decide which to use so in the end, did 5 mummies with one and 5 with the other for a slight variation in colour.
Inked and ready to drybrush. The 2 test subjects seemed to work ok.
Drybrushed and ready to be based. Magnets attached and the Mummies hold securely on the movement tray.
Finished unit. A quick win for painting in the spare couple of hours I had.
I thought I’d get more chance to paint over the Christmas break. No such luck. The Deadzone Marauder Guntrack I started on has had an hour or so painting time. I still haven’t managed to even start on the driver or loader. Hopefully, there’s two pics below showing its two different gun systems.
I did however get a set of 10 Mantic wraiths for Christmas. I’ve put them together, built a movement tray for them. Drilled magnets into their bases and discovered just how tough restic is (even to a Bosch drill). I’ve always wanted to try one of those Lord of the Rings Undead army style paint jobs that were the in thing for a while, but I’ve never had any figures to try this out on. So on the wraiths, I decided to go with the ghostly look. I know they look knocked up quickly, but it allowed me to try out a different paint style. From bagged bits in a box to as they are in the photo below, they still probably took the best part of 4 or 5 hours for the unit.
Up next are 3 more Mantic werewolves I got for Christmas… Now if only I could remember the colour mixes I used on the last three I painted. Typical.
My first Mantic fantasy additions to my Undead army arrived. Like an excited kid, I built them straight away and painted them when the glue had dried. So, I guess they’re a tad rushed – but they fit in with the army well. The bases were done “old school” to match the stuff I painted 15 years ago. Nothing fancy like tufts. Just plan old painted sand with flock.
The photo’s are a little shiny. I think I need another coat of matte varnish. I must admit, I’m in the habit of spraying all figures with Halfords clear car lacquer. Very glossy and very heavy duty. It comes from playing games where individual models are handled a lot and it makes them nuke proof. I guess with fantasy figures it’s less necessary as they’re on movement trays, but it’s force of habit now. A coat or 2 of matte varnish afterwards helps remove the shine.