Or as I prefer to remember it by… 2 afternoons melting polystyrene chunks then airbrushing it. Should make for an interesting game with my lad’s TIE swarm tomorrow. 🙂
I’ll get round to making some good asteroids one day. I decided that some rush jobs will do better than just flat templates in the game until I get time to make some better ones out of decent polystyrene.
I made them by using a hot wire cutter to carve out some asteroid shapes. I sprayed them with good old trusty Halfords matte black car spray. It did the trick wonderfully melting the surface into pits and holes. Then it was a case of using the airbrush to respray black, then a dusting of grey and white from a distance. Some splodges of orange wash and brown wash, then when dry, drybrush slightly with light grey. Finished off by a coating of matte varnish from the airbrush. The stands were glued onto the X-wing game templates with clear glue. They actually look like they’re just stood on the template.
I also managed to glue a 10mm x 2mm magnet to the centre of all the X-wing model bases and add a sheet of rubber steel to the bottom of my storage box. Now the models won’t slide around and cause damage to each other. Oh yeah, the box could also be turned upside down with no damage to the models either. 🙂
The only other things I’ve done hobby related recently are putting together a few 4Ground houses in the evenings. I’ve still got a large ruined detached house to make, but I’m giving myself a break from wood-glue, pegs, rubber bands and swearing for at least a week now.
It’s a poor camera photo, but it shows the additions.
Next up, I have a Panzer IV Ausf G to get painted and then build some of my Maelstrom’s Edge models which have sat neglected since they arrived over a month ago.